Re: problems with CentOS chroot

On Dec 17, 2007 9:47 AM, Maxim Soldatov <makc@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I've got strange problem with centos (as well as rhel btw) chrooted
environment.

That's the behaviour that chroot is supposed to have.

Yes, I even do not have /etc/ directory inside testcase/ , but id shows
groups from the _host_ root account.

I see you saying "host" (as opposed to "guest"), but chroot is not a VM environment. When you chroot to a jail, you user id, group id, and additional groups will be still the same as they were before. They're inherited.

The issue with it showing the id's as numbers or names is that if the files in /etc/ are not present in the chroot, it won't be able to look them up, then it will show the numbers only.

If you need some different id's, maybe you should su before/after chrooting. Or maybe what you need is actually a VM environment, in that case you should try Xen.

Regards,
Filipe