Re: Ethernet over USB

Krautkramer, John wrote:

Hi,

Is it true you can run Ethernet over USB between 2 machines?

I have 2 machines running CentOS 5.0 and a simple type A male to A male cable. I don’t see in the network setup gui how to set it up. Is there a particular device I should select? What I see relating to USB is:

KL4USB101 USB Ethernet driver

Pegasus/Pegasus II USB Ethernet driver

USB CDC Ethernet driver

These appear to be some kind of hardware other than a cable.

USB is a master/slave interface, only allows one master on the bus, your PC. those "A to A" network cables are in fact TWO USB slaves, each a network adapters, one for each side. they typically emulate ethernet, so what you see there is correct.

not quite sure why you're seeing 3 different ethernet drivers, unless thats all the same thing by different aliases.

you'll need to configure it just like any other LAN... give each system an IP address on the same private subnet.