Re: "yum --security" and staying with 5.0

Amos Shapira wrote:
On 12/12/2007, Karanbir Singh <mail-lists@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Amos Shapira wrote:
Context - I'd like to stick to 5.0 at least for a while until the dust
around 5.1 settles down (and I'm back from holidays).
ok, so what do you mean by sticking to 5.0 ? you mean you dont want any
updates at all for those machines, even if they might be security issues ?

(I also replied to David's message)

No. I'm trying to understand where does 5.0 stand now that 5.1 is out
- should I abandon 5.0 and upgrade to 5.1 if I want to stick to
secure, stable releases or is 5.0 going to be maintained in parallel
to 5.0 for security issues?

I think your confusion comes from the fact that you consider 5.1 to be a new release, and not what it really is : 5.0 + updates + some bug fix's.

I suggest you read up on how the whole EL codebase moves.

I now noticed the last sentence saying "you are in the update release
stream for the 5.1 series and you will not move to a newer release
without making changes to the yum config.". What kind of changes does
this refer to? Overriding the $releasever in the repository URL's to
hard-coded "5.0" or what?

no, when branches are created - they will involve you installing a new centos-release rpm.

--
Karanbir Singh : http://www.karan.org/  : 2522219@icq