Re: unstable kernel after update to CentOS 4.5

Kai:

I checked the filesystem in the evening and it's clean. I really doubt
there's anything with the disk.

That's what I thought too. I had the same error you had, and initially the disk seemed to be OK. It would run for weeks before the error showed up again. But after I replaced the disk, the problem never occurred again. The next time I got this error (on a different system), the drive also seemed fine otherwise. I've learned my lesson. When I see this error I just replace the disk.

If you have a spare disk, I would give it a try. If your errors do not go away, then you can suspect something in the CentOS 4.5 update. But that update has been out for a while and I suspect it's running on thousands of systems without this problem.

Alfred