Re: 5.x install - loses display when launching, anaconda

On 07/12/2007, at 1:54 AM, David G. Miller wrote:

Tom Lanyon <tom@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I forgot to mention I tried installing via both graphical and text. Also tried a network-based text install. All presented no video output whatsoever at the anaconda launch point.
I think the correct option is "nofb" for no frame buffer at the original install screen (linux nofb). I ran into this when I first put Linux on my laptop back in the summer of 2005. I originally worked around it by just attaching an external monitor which also works but takes a little more planning and effort. The problem probably has something to do with anaconda shifting into graphics mode when anaconda starts but the mode isn't compatible with the laptop's LCD display. Using nofb tells the kernel not to use frame buffers which keeps the install in a standard (e.g., VGA) mode or the external monitor works with the display mode.

Cheers,
Dave

Dave,

Thanks - can't believe I didn't think of the framebuffer earlier.

Using nofb does indeed allow me to progress with the installation.

Cheers,
Tom