RHEL 5 vs. CentOS 5

Hi all,

I would like to first preface this e-mail by saying if this topic has been covered already, could someone point me to the month of the discussion and I will gladly read it.

We have been using RHEL 3 / 4 in our environment and I am very happy and satisfied with the stability of the OS.  Now with the new technologies incorporated into RHEL5, specifically Virtualization, Clustering, and Storage, and the costs associated with them, I was wondering how similar CentOS and RHEL 5 were.

It is my understanding that CentOS is RHEL 5 with the RedHat icons removed but the functionality of the packages is the same.  In addition, updates may come a day or two later than RHEL 5.

My boss is a little concerned about the differences since we host production servers that require minimal downtime.

Any thoughts and opinions are very welcome.

Thank you for your input.

Denise Lopez

UCLA - Center for Digital Humanities

Network Services