Re: VNCsever not starting at boot

Craig White wrote:
On Thu, 2007-12-06 at 17:11 -0500, Robert Moskowitz wrote:
Craig White wrote:
On Thu, 2007-12-06 at 16:34 -0500, Robert Moskowitz wrote:
When I run system-config-services, it shows vncserver set to start at boot.

in /etc/inittab I have init 3

vncserver does not start at boot.

I log in on the console as root and

service vncserver start

and it starts with some warning messages about bad display name in "add" command, but I do not see where these are logged to copy them into this message.

Once I start it from the console, I have trouble using the vnc client to access the server.

I really need for the vncserver to start at boot, as I want it to run in a place with no monitor or keyboard....
----
I don't recall there being an issue vs runlevel 3 or 5

First off, nx is a much better way to go
yeah, but that will take a bit of work. At least when I look at it back in the summer, it was not just a drop in as vnc has ALMOST been.
Anyway...what's contents of /etc/sysconfig/vncserver ? Is it configured?
Only thing I have configured is the vncservers= line

and for ~/.vnc I have run vncpasswd to set the password and edited the xstartup file to run gnome instead of X:

For Gnome, replace "twm &" with "exec gnome-session &"

also uncommented the two lines in xstartup for 'normal desktop'. Didn't notice any difference though,
----
service vncserver restart should be all that you need then
And how do I do that without logging into the console? My goal is I boot the system up, and then over the network I remote into the server. I suppose I could 'cheat' and have webmin running....