Re: Need a sendmail help mail list

Steven Haigh wrote:
On Thu, Dec 06, 2007 at 01:33:12PM +0800, Christopher Chan wrote:
The ruleset in the cf file that calls the fax mailer expects the domain portion to be ext.fax and not ext.fax.foo.com. The rule looks for anything .FAX.

# resolve fake top level domains by forwarding to other hosts
R$+ < @ $+ .FAX. > $#fax $@ $2 $: $1 user@xxxxxxxx
How do I correct this?
Editing sendmail.cf directly.

sendmail.mc:define(`FAX_MAILER_PATH',`/usr/bin/faxmail')dnl
sendmail.mc:define(`FAX_MAILER_ARGS',`faxmail -d -n -p 12pt $u@$h $f')dnl
sendmail.mc:MAILER(`fax')dnl

Where did that ruleset come from? And what should I use in the ARGS in place of $h to get just the host portion of the FQDN?

I really do not know. I have not been through sendmail mc/cf files in quite a while. Let me see if we can pass parameters via mailertable...

If you could edit the sendmail.cf itself, we could dispense with the mailertables too...

I would highly advise against editing the sendmail.cf file directly.
Spend a little extra time and install the sendmail-doc package, then consult
the file /usr/share/doc/README.cf.

yeah, yeah, tabs and what not...

From experience, this will save you LOTS of hassle in the future.