Re: backup / compressed copy

Andreas Kuntzagk wrote:
Hi,

I think about buying a NAS-server from Sun. To backup this server I want
to use our central to-tape backup. For whatever reason ppl are asking me
to make one compressed copy to disk and only backup this copy.
So to reduce load I'd like to have a script that:

identifies changed files only (using md5?)
copies them
and compresses them

storeBackup.pl does something similar, but keeps versions and creates
hardlinks between them. (Is storeBackup in any CentOS repo? I know it
from my SuSE box)
Any ideas? Do I have to change storeBackup to my needs? (Would really
hate that, because I'm not a Perl man)

Backuppc (http://backuppc.sourceforge.net/) will backup a number of hosts, compressing all files and hardlinking all duplicates (whether from different hosts or different backup runs) to reduce the storage needed and permit keeping a longer history on line. It also provides a nice web interface for browsing, restoring, and archiving to tape. The tape archive part is manual and kind of an afterthought but the rest is completely automatic and some users have devised ways to use external disks for the archive or do partition level copies to an external disk for offsite storage.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx