Re: RAID, LVM, extra disks...

Ross S. W. Walker wrote:

What are you trying to accomplish storage wise?

Is this for commerical or personal use?

Commercial, but non-critical use.

If for personal use, then it isn't as critical how it is setup,
but if this is for commercial use then you need to target your
storage to your application.

Nothing really very IO demanding. Running an OpenVZ server with many Virtual machines on it, but load is very low.

If you want this to be reconfigured on the fly without ever
rebooting then you may find your options limited on which
RAID levels you can choose.

Typically I keep the system disks in a RAID1 and the data disks
on separate RAID arrays setup depending on the application.

Scratch or temp files -> RAID0
File serving -> RAID5 or RAID6 (depending on disk size # of disks)
Databases, large email, many VMS -> RAID10

Let us know what you want the storage for and we can suggest a
configuration.

Top of my head though, I would use the 18GB for the OS and keep
the 4 36GB for application data either as a RAID10 or RAID5.

That would make sense. Use RAID1 18GB for /, /boot and /var and use a RAID4 with 4 36GB HDD for /vz (OpenVZ's virtual machines are located there).

Makes sense?

Thanks,

Ugo