Re: reasons for using CentOS in business environments

Rogelio wrote:
My apologies if this question has been previously answered, but could
anyone here provide me with resources that I might use to help build a
case for exclusively using CentOS in an enterprise environment?
(Approximately 200 servers)

Long story short, I've used a little of everything out there
(Gentoo/Debian/*BSD/Slackware) and have a fairly good overall strategy
of how they all work (all of them have lived on my laptop at one time
or another over the last 10 years or so), but I'm now looking for
solid business reasons that I can present to the CxO types of a
company to show them that CentOS is probably where they'd like to
look.

Reasons thus far I've come up with include:

--free *and* "fully" (at least, in my experience) compatible with RHEL
--fairly stable (I don't have problems unless I start mixing repos)
--yum packages (almost as cool as Debian! Ok, I'm biased...or maybe I
don't know how to properly use yum?)

(nah. yum needs some more catching up. in any case, a working software management system.)

If this is a Linux shop, the answer would be what everybody is most comfortable with. That fact that you can now make your own repository/repositories has made the score more even against Debian, deb and apt. Any distro without tools for managing packages on multiple servers from a local repository should be dropped. You can therefore paint Centos in this light as one that meets such needs.