Re: Migration from RH9

Craig White wrote:
On Thu, 2007-11-22 at 09:51 -0500, Ugo Bellavance wrote:

----
questions were far to general to get specific responses

That is what I thought.

There is no supported upgrade path for either RHL 9 or Fedora 4 to
CentOS but you certainly can use anaconda to do that by appending...

linux upgradeany

In fact I won't upgrade the current machines, as they're old. I'd setup new servers and migrate services one to one from the old to the new ones.

You get to keep the pieces that are broken.

per info on Centos web site...
http://centos.org/modules/smartfaq/faq.php?faqid=43

CentOS 3.x is in maintenance updates only mode...hardly makes sense to
me to install this on anything UNLESS you have specific software that
will only run on 2.4 kernels

CentOS 4.x enters into maintenance updates only mode March 1st, 2008 -
not that far off

I don't know anything about 'perforce environment' and thus have nothing
to offer. Similarly, I haven't use squid for many years and likewise
dansguardian.

Perforce is a CVS-like system (proprietary).

Apache/PHP/MySQL are all starting to show their age on CentOS-4.x but
thankfully, there is CentOS Plus repository for updated php & mysql but
if I were thinking in terms of updates that I didn't have to bother with
for a few years, I would certainly go all the way to CentOS 5

You might find some useful information here...

http://centos.org/search.php?query=upgradeany&andor=AND&action=results&submit=Search

All very good info, thanks!

Ugo