Re: Backups on external USB HDD

David Ferreira wrote:
Hi

If Device 009 is your USB HD, then, your /etc/hotplug/usb/usbhd.usermap sould look like that:

#usb module match_flags idVendor idProduct bcdDevice_lo bcdDevice_hi bDeviceClass bDeviceSubClass bDeviceProtocol bInterfaceClass bInterfaceSubClass bInterfaceProtocol driver_info usbbackup 0x0003 0x04fc 0x0c25 0x0000 0x0000 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00000000

Well, now the script. only one question, Do you use backup exec to write on linuxbox fs and then, rsync to the usb hd?, or do you want to backup exec directly backup to the usb hd? If you do a rsync from local linux fs to the USB disk, you can umount the fs in the script when it's finish. If you choose the second option (Backup diretly to the usb hd) you sould find other way to umount the usb drive once you have finished backup (I think the easiest way is a cron job). I think first option is beter, so you can use this pseudo-script in /etc/hotplug/usb/usbhd:

#!bin/bash
mount -t auto /dev/sd0 /mnt/backup
rsync -Pavz --delete /tmp/backup /mnt/backup
umount /mnt/backup

If you prefere second option, you must made accesible /mnt/backup as you prefer to your windows box, quit rsync and umount from script, and create a cron job to umount the usb drive.
I think now is enough clear what do you have to do.

Yes, I'd rather use the 2nd option, as the USB HDDs' size is 250 GB, while I only have about 100 GB locally.

Therefore, I only need the first line, so that it is automatically mounted? In fact, what I want is to always have /dev/sda1 mounted as /mnt/usbbackup (example) as soon as it is connected.

My backup usually takes about 5 hours, so if I start it at 19.00, it will be safe to umount the volume anytime after 4AM, for example, using a cronjob.

Does this make sense?

Is there a way to test it w/o being on site (one HDD is already connected).

Regards,
Ugo