wall and mesg and Xwindow

I read in another post this morning something that reminded me of a question that has left my pulling my eyebrows out. How are broadcast messages enabled in X? I have found that
# mesg y
at a console will enable wall to post to that console. And, by placing "mesg y" in /etc/rc.d/rc.local, messages will be enabled on all consoles. But they're not enabled in KDE, neither in a pop-up nor in a terminal. So far, I've been unable to find what changed between CentOS 4 and CentOS 5 (and equivalent upstream versions, obviously).
Would someone share a clue?