Generating CMDB - Recommendations

Hi

We use Remedy as our tool to help us with ITIL but we have a LOT of boxes ~4000 and that is growing all the time. I am looking at ways for us to be able to update the CMDB within remedy with little effort from us. I can get our DC team to pretty much touch a file on the OS with the box location but does any one have any 'neat' tricks that can take various pieces of info and then spit them out into say a csv that we could then use to import into Remedy?

I know this is a vague request but i wonder how others with a few boxes handle their CMDB's ?

thanks