Re : Re: Need advice on storage

----- Message d'origine -----
De: Ken Price <kprice@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mardi, Novembre 13, 2007 11:04 am
Objet: Re: [CentOS] Need advice on storage
À: centos@xxxxxxxxxx

> > Thanks Ken.That's a good thing to know that software striping
> won't
> > really boost performance, i then won't waste money on that
> avenue.
> > I cannot explain why as i don't know about Linux drivers
> > architecture and general system low level behavior but maybe
> > somebody on this list could give us a
>
> It's not specific to Linux, but RAID in general. You need more
> than
> two disks to get any significant increase in performance. In
> fact,
> you may get better performance with Linux software RAID than
> hardware
> RAID. Linux software RAID is really quite robust.
>
> > clue.As i said on my previous post, i found that the server is
>
> > inside a rack that has a VTRAK 15100 SCSI to SATA Enclosure
> with a
> > free SCSI bus (the unit has 2 independant bus) and hard disk
> slots.
> > I think we have a spare Adaptec 39160 so if it's the case, i
> could
> > go with this solution and buy 4 x WD 250 Gigs "YS" (RAID)
> serie
> > drives @ about 75$ each and put all this in RAID 10. The unit
>
> > supports NCQ. It remains to be seen how well it can perform
> even if
> > they are talking about "up to 200 MBps".Regards,Guy Boisvert
>
> I've used both the Promise UltraTrak SX8000 (8-disk RAID50) and
> UltraTrak SX4000
> (4-disk Raid10). Performance was adequate, but I was using Dell
>
> PERC2/3 RAID cards. In testing, a plain-jane Adaptec SCSI card
> coupled with software RAID gave "significantly" better results.
>
> Cheers.
> -Ken

Hi Ken,

Well, i should be OK with my Adaptec 39160 then.  I'll see if the VTrak 15100 we have is able to push respectable numbers in RAID 10.  But as "redhat@xxxxxxxxxxx" stated in another post, it will be plugged in a straight 32 bits PCI bus on a crappy mainboard so it's a temporary solution until we get the budget for a new server.  But it should be relatively easy to beat a single 200 Gig IDE non NCQ drive!

Thanks!

Guy Boisvert