Re: A good primer to User Administration?

Eric B. wrote:
Hi,

I've been running Linux as a workstation OS for years, and have been dealing with Windows networks and standalone Linux servers for a while now. However, the time has come for me to complete redo the server installation and am looking to move to a complete CentOS install base, with only Windows workstations.

My question is the following. I've been searching online for a good reference to describe good practices when building a linux network, but haven't really been able to find much when it comes to best practices for user administration, ACLs, "optimal" (or recommended) file locations, etc. For example, I know I need an LDAP server, but not sure how that ties into system login, or how to use a Linux LDAP server as the basis for a primary domain controller (is it still called that given Windows AD world?), etc. Or even how to properly create group structures and ACLs that accurately reflect group ownership/etc. The octal permissions at the file level are only good enough for a single group; I need to give multiple groups different permissions on the same files, etc.

I realize that there are a lot of questions that I need to research, but I was hoping someone could point me in the direction of some advanced admin docs with best practices, etc. Most of the stuff I find relates on how to set up a basic standalone PC, without any reference to how to network together a bunch of servers running off central authentication, etc...

Thanks for the advice!

Eric

Eric,

if you are thinking of setting up ldap, email, address book ...etc.. all in one go ... then you need to test out ...something like zimbra from zimbra.com

--
Shibu
-