Re: 32 Bit vs. 64 Bit Linux Server installation

Simon Jolle wrote:
Hi Centos Users

What are the advantages of 64 Bit and respective 32 Bit installation
of Centos? With PAE 32 Bit installation can address huge amount of
RAM. As a desktop system, I prefer 32 Bit installation because of
teething troubles in 64 Bit Linux world.

Intel does hardware memory stuff now eh? I know that you do not get a performance slowdown with AMD whether it is 32-bit or 64-bit for anything over 1GB.

When would you choose 64 Bit and when 32 Bit? We are running mostly
application and web services.

Amount of RAM but as you mention this new PAE thing...

Is this true that with 32 Bit architecture the kernel is limited to 1 GB RAM?

No. It is not. The issue is not kernel support but the cpu support of fast memory operations for locations above 1GB which is (was?) non existent on Intel-base cpus and architectures.