Re: SOLVED: Re: Installing Google's Picasa for Linux on CentOS 5

Florin Andrei wrote:
Lanny Marcus wrote:

JACKPOT! Your "wild guess" was *dead* on! Google is installing into
/opt    I'd forgotten that I have /opt as  FAT32, to safely move files
between NTFS and ext3. This is a dual boot, WinXP and CentOS 5 box.

Use something else for that, not /opt. Just make up some directory name, unmount /opt, re-mount the FAT32 partition under the new directory, and then leave /opt alone.

indeed. in some filename/directory standard or another who's name escapes me, /opt is the standard place to install non-core distribution software packages ... linux people often use /usr/local for this, but /usr/local is intended for site specific stuff, which software packages really aren't.