restore to different hardware?

Is there a HOWTO or checklist that covers the typical steps to back up a working machine and restore it to a machine with different disk controllers and network cards? I've muddled through it a time or two, sometimes rebuilding the initrd, sometimes doing a dummy install just to get a working /boot and modprobe.conf, sometimes copying the /boot partition from a machine with identical hardware and / from the one I want to restore, but I always forget some detail - like fixing modprobe.conf or fstab, or making sure that the kernel versions are at the same rev when copying /boot and / from different sources.

If there are other differences, they can be patched up fairly easily once the machine boots and is on the network.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx