Re: migration from RHELv5 to CentOS-5

On Mon, 2007-10-29 at 03:54 -0500, Johnny Hughes wrote:
Craig White wrote:
> running into a snag. Though I could obviously handle it in a variety of
> different ways, thought I would point this out and see if anyone has a
> suggestion that I am missing.
>
> Transaction Check Error:
> file /usr/share/backgrounds/images/default-5_4.jpg from install of
> desktop-backgrounds-basic-2.0-40.el5.centos conflicts with file from
> package redhat-logos-4.9.16-1
>   file /usr/share/backgrounds/images/default-dual-wide.jpg from install
> of desktop-backgrounds-basic-2.0-40.el5.centos conflicts with file from
> package redhat-logos-4.9.16-1
>   file /usr/share/backgrounds/images/default-dual.jpg from install of
> desktop-backgrounds-basic-2.0-40.el5.centos conflicts with file from
> package redhat-logos-4.9.16-1
>   file /usr/share/backgrounds/images/default-wide.jpg from install of
> desktop-backgrounds-basic-2.0-40.el5.centos conflicts with file from
> package redhat-logos-4.9.16-1
>   file /usr/share/backgrounds/images/default.jpg from install of
> desktop-backgrounds-basic-2.0-40.el5.centos conflicts with file from
> package redhat-logos-4.9.16-1

Craig,

Install the redhat-logos package from centos and the desktop-backgrounds
package from centos these 2 packages control the look and fee of the
distribution and don't really track upstream packages at all.

You will have to force the redhat-logos install as the upstream version
has a higher number than CentOS-5 at this time:

upstream: 4.9.16-1
centos:   4.9.8-6

The CentOS version of redhat-logos does not track the upstream version
(and that is one of 2 packages that _HAS_TO_ be replaced do rebuilding
entities) so that is why yum will not install it.

We should probably release a newer version of redhat-logos to make our
package install instead as an upgrade to the upstream one, but you can
manually download the package and do:

rpm -Uvh --force <centos-version>.rpm
----
OK - here's my methodology for upgrading in case it helps someone

cp /etc/redhat-release /etc/redhat-release-saved
rpm -e --nodeps redhat-release-notes \
redhat-releaserpm \
yum-rhn-plugin \
redhat-logos
rpm -ivh \
http://mirror.centos.org/centos/5/os/i386/CentOS/centos-release-5-0.0.el5.centos.2.i386.rpm \
http://mirror.centos.org/centos/5/os/i386/CentOS/centos-release-notes-5.0.0-2.i386.rpm
yum update

Seems to have worked just fine (redhat-logos replaced automatically as a dependency)

Thanks for the help, sorry about the html but I the long lines were breaking

Craig