Re: forcing device to USB HDD

Paul wrote:
On Sat, 2007-10-27 at 12:27 -0400, Bobby wrote:
On Saturday 27 October 2007 12:20:31 Israel Garcia wrote:
Hi, I bought an USB external hdd (500GB) to make my
backups using dump... but, sometimes my sever
recognize the hdd device /dev/sdb or /dev/sdc... my
question is: How can I assign a fixed device for
example /dev/sdc to my hdd? remember I use some
scripts to do my backup and I am getting errors
because the device changes from sdb to sdc and
I would imagine by manually mounting it

Ummm no, that is the problem I imagine, the device changes so it can't
be mounted in his script.

I can't think of a solution right off hand.

I suppose you could put a label on the drive (with tune2fs), then mount it by LABEL=xxxx... I dunno what else to suggest.

linux's crappy way of handling disk device names is one of my bigger gripes about it. its really messy in a SAN environment where there's several storage controllers. /dev/sdf could be almost -anything-. I prefer the c1t1d1 notation of traditional Unix systems like Solaris, although there still can be issues identifying the channel #s