Taking file from pyhsical disk to new virtual disk

Hi

I am playing with virtualization on centos 5.
I have an old redhat 7 system I still need so I want to virtualize it.
I found the old disk, installed in the virtual environment but found
I had done some additions WAY back.
I want to be sure my virtual system is exactly the same as the ACTUAL system.

Do I use cpio on the actual system to grab everything and then put that back on the
virtual system?

What would the format of the command be to grab it and extract it? I have never used cpio and dont
want to screw something up.

Is there a better way?

Jerry