Re: Large scale Postfix/Cyrus email system for 100,000+ users

Matt Shields wrote:
> I'm trying to set up a large scale email system that supports 100,000+
> IMAP accounts.  We have an existing frontend web interface that does a
> lookup on a mysql db to figure out which IMAP server to connect to for
> each user.  For the email infrastructure we have decided on Postfix
> and Cyrus.  We have configured both to use mysql to get the virtual
> user information.
>
> Because of the way that the infrastructure is (biz reasons) we are not
> doing shared storage, we have numerous IMAP servers that we distribute
> accounts across.  As we add more users, we image up a new IMAP server.
>  For our business's scaling purposes this was the best plan.
>
> What I am having a problem is how do I get postfix to transfer the
> email to the particular IMAP server that the user account is on.  I
> know that I need to use lmtp and transport, but all the examples I
> have seen show forwarding all email to 1 IMAP server.  I would like
> Postfix to do a lookup for each mailbox and determine which IMAP
> server to deliver it to.

There are primarily two ways:

[virtual aliase]
you can use virtual_alias_maps to redirect foo@xxxxxxxxxxx to
foo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, provided the final server accepts such addresses.

If the final server doesn't accept these, and you use smtp to relay to,
then you can write the addresses back, using smtp_generic_maps.

[transport]
an laternative is to use use (per-user) transport_maps. something like

foo@xxxxxxxxxxx		relay:[hostN.example.com]

In bothe approaches, the mappings can be generated using sql statements
(mostly CONCAT). something like
query = SELECT concat('relay:[', host, '.example.com]')
	FROM User
	where '%u' = user and '%d' = domain

you get the idea I hope.