Re: Upgrading PHP + MySQL on CentOS 3

On  23. Oct 2007, at 18:07, Johnny Hughes wrote:

If you compile it on a machine that has only mysql-5.x and
mysql-devel-5.x on it, it should then link against the proper files.

Hopefully you are making RPMS and not doing installs from source.

I was tempted there for a second, but no, I'm using RPMs. ;-)

I would also try to stay with the CentOS RPMS (in CentOS-4 we have
php-4.3.9) as you know those will be supported and get security updates until 2012 ... BUT php-4 will most likely not last that long from php.net.

The app that we're about to deploy was written for PHP4 (long story) and has not been tested on PHP5, so we want to run on 4 until we're sure it works well on 5.

You should (though I have not tried it) be able to compile the php-4.3.9 SRPMS from CentOS-4 on CentOS-3. You might also get the mysql SRPMS for
MySQL from the CentOS-4 CentOSPlus repo and recompile on CentOS-3.

I wonder if that's not more trouble than it's worth? Both PHP and MySQL are basically working fine, only the connector libs seem to be lagging behind...
Or am I missing something and it's just a symptom of a bigger problem?

If I was going to do mysql-5 and php-4 on CentOS-3, that is what I would
do ... though I would most likely do it on CentOS-4 instead and get a
newer version of apache too.

Wish I could go to CentOS 4, but our host *major expletive*, and others in Tokyo ain't any better. :-(

Chrs,
Dav