(no subject)

I am forwarding this exchange from the BIND 9 list (I posted the question) because it seems relevant any comment on this? Is it for the North American Linux Distributor to fix, or is it something the CentOS folks can do?

> When my 64-bit Centos5 machine boots up, I see the following messages:

> process `rndc' is using obsolete setsockopt SO_BSDCOMPAT process

> `named' is using obsolete setsockopt SO_BSDCOMPAT

This is an unfortunate linuxism.  The kernel people put this warning in, but left SO_BSDCOMPAT defined in their header files, so you can't get around it by using #ifdef SO_BSDCOMPAT.

BIND 9 has a linux kernel version check that's supposed to prevent it from setting that socket option on kernels that don't need it... but I guess it doesn't work on CentOS5, I've no idea why not.

The proper fix would be for the linux people to stop issuing this warning in production kernels.  In the meantime, you can shut it up by editing lib/isc/unix/socket.c and changing the function clear_bsdcompat() so it always sets bsdcompat to ISC_FALSE.