Re: C5 i386 DVD boot problems

On Mon, 22 Oct 2007, Phil Schaffner wrote:

On Mon, 2007-10-22 at 13:13 -0400, Scott Ehrlich wrote:
I tried to boot from two different CentOS 5 DVDs, both pass the checksum
test, and both give me the same error on a Dell laptop from either GUI or
text install modes:

invalid compressed format (err=2)
VFS: Cannot open root device "<NULL>" or unknown-block(253,0)
Kernel panic...

I did some google searching and learned other people have had the same
problem, but no resolutions were ever posted.

I'm downloading the CD version and will see if that makes any difference.

Assuming it won't make a difference, how do I resolve this so I can get
CentOS installed on the system?

1. Try the images/boot.iso or images/diskboot.img from CD or USB media
respectively.

2. If you have some flavor of Linux installed, copy the isolinux/vmlinuz
and isolinux/initrd.img to /boot (renamed to *-c5* in GRUB example
below) and create a GRUB or LILO stanza to boot them.

       title CentOS5 Installer
               root (cd)
               kernel /boot/vmlinuz-c5 ro ramdisk=8192
               initrd /boot/initrd-c5.img

3. pxeboot

Turns out the laptop didn't seem to like part of the DVD(s), so I opted to boot from CD, and the install went fine from there.

Always helpful to have both methods available.

Thanks.

Scott

Phil