Re: Safe method to remove old kernels

On 12/10/2007, at 10:53 PM, Scott Moseman wrote:

# rpm -qa | grep kernel-2 | sort
kernel-2.6.9-42.0.10.EL
kernel-2.6.9-42.0.2.EL
kernel-2.6.9-42.0.3.EL
kernel-2.6.9-42.0.8.EL
kernel-2.6.9-42.EL
kernel-2.6.9-55.0.2.EL
kernel-2.6.9-55.0.6.EL
kernel-2.6.9-55.0.9.EL
kernel-2.6.9-55.EL

I'm running the most recent kernel available, and I've never had a
problem with any past kernels, so I don't believe there's any reason
to keep all of them.  I guess kernels get a fresh install instead of
an upgrade?  Can I safely rpm-e the old kernel packages?  Should this
be something I do through yum instead?

Yep, you just do (for example)

yum remove kernel-2.6.9-42.0.10

i.e. specify the exact version in the remove statement.

Be very very careful... don't remove the kernel you're running.

this should also remove the entries in your grub.conf, but check it once you're done.

Some of my CentOS servers have even more old kernels than this sample.

You might be able to remove a bunch of them in one go if you do something like:

yum remove kernel-2.6.9-42*

again, be careful, double check what you're doing, don't make a silly mistake and remove the wrong kernel(s)

Note: if you've installed any RPM modules that depend on specific versions of kernels, yum will (correctly) want to remove those too.

Cheers,

Michael