Re: Replacing failed software RAID drive

on 10/10/2007 2:46 PM Hugh E Cruickshank spake the following:
From: Les Mikesell
Hugh E Cruickshank wrote:
From: Les Mikesell Sent: October 7, 2007 18:53

Then reinstall grub on the drive.
Now I have some questions:

1. Since the /boot partition was mirrored and will be restored on the
   new sda drive I do not really want to do a full grub install. From
   what I have read that will overwrite existing /boot/grub/grub.conf
   file. So I just want to write the MBR on the drive. How to I do
   that (the docs I have found were rather unclear on that aspect)?

2. Can a install grub on the replaced boot drive with the system still
   running?
Yes, after the /boot partition re-sync has completed, execute grub and:

root (hd0,0)
setup (hd0)
quit

If you aren't able to keep the system running while doing the swap, you
can also do this from the rescue mode boot, but you should have the
contents on the /boot partition first.

Sorry to be obtuse here but I just want to make very sure of what I am
doing before I do it. Will the "setup" command only write the MBR?

From my reading the GNU GRUB manual I got the distinct impression that
the "setup" command will also write/rewrite the /boot partition (which
I would like to avoid). The documentation for the setup command states:

    Set up the installation of GRUB automatically. This command uses
    the more flexible command install (see Section 13.3.18 [install],
    page 44) in the backend and installs Chapter 13: The list of
    available commands 49 GRUB into the device install device. If
    image device is specified, then find the GRUB images (see Chapter
    10 [Images], page 29) in the device image device, otherwise use the
    current root device, which can be set by the command root. If
    install device is a hard disk, then embed a Stage 1.5 in the disk
    if possible.

    The option �--prefix� specifies the directory under which GRUB
    images are put. If it is not specified, GRUB automatically
    searches them in �/boot/grub� and �/grub�.

    The options �--force-lba� and �--stage2� are just passed to install
    if specified. See Section 13.3.18 [install], page 44, for more
    information.

The second paragraph tends to imply that /boot/grub will be written
to by default and I do not think that this is what I want to happen.

Thanks again for everyone's input (especially Les). It is greatly
appreciated.
What "setup" command?
You boot from a rescue disk if your system isn't running already.
If booting from rescue disk chroot to your installed files.
execute grub
at its prompt run the following;
root (hd0,0)
setup (hd0)
quit
That should let you boot into your stuff.

--
MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and