Re: Replacing failed software RAID drive

Hugh E Cruickshank wrote:
From: Les Mikesell Sent: October 7, 2007 18:53
OK, you just have to replace the drive, fdisk matching partitions on it ("fdisk -l /dev/sde" will show the sizes you need), then use
mdadm --add /dev/md? /dev/sda?
for each one to add the missing partition back.

I have been able to review all this and it looks very straight forward.

Then reinstall grub on the drive.

Now I have some questions:

1. Since the /boot partition was mirrored and will be restored on the
   new sda drive I do not really want to do a full grub install. From
   what I have read that will overwrite existing /boot/grub/grub.conf
   file. So I just want to write the MBR on the drive. How to I do
   that (the docs I have found were rather unclear on that aspect)?

Boot the system from CD or similar in Rescue Mode and then use something like

grub-install --no-floppy /dev/hda

2. Can a install grub on the replaced boot drive with the system still
   running?

TIA

Regards, Hugh

Yes