Re: Sound problems on envidia 6510 in Compaq SR5110NX

on 9/30/2007 5:28 PM Chuck Mattern spake the following:
Following up to myself, I have ruled out a hardware problem by booting
the Fedora 7 Live CD and confirming that he card works under that
distro.  I used the F7 /etc/modprobe.conf as a cheat sheet but still am
not getting audio under CentOS 5.  I listed the loaded modules after
rebooting and found that the sound drivers still had not loaded in spite
of the modified modprobe.conf:

alias scsi_hostadapter sata_nv
alias eth0 forcedeth
alias snd-card-0 snd-hda-intel
options snd-card-0 index=0
options snd-hda-intel index=0

I ran modprobe snd-card-0 and all of the expected modules loaded as they
did under F7 but still no audio output.

I checked to be sure kudzu was seeing the device and it is:
# kudzu -p
class: AUDIO
bus: PCI
detached: 0
desc: "nVidia Corporation MCP61 High Definition Audio"
vendorId: 10de
deviceId: 03f0
subVendorId: 103c
subDeviceId: 2a5c
pciType: 1
pcidom:    0
pcibus:  0
pcidev:  5
pcifn:  0
'''''''''

I want to stay on CentOS for stability and longevity reasons.

Could the Fedora 7 live cd have a newer/different driver than CentOS?
AFAIR CentOS is more in line with Core 6, and Core 7 might have a newer driver by 6 to 9 months.
Maybe running modinfo under each one and look at the output.

--
MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and