Re: vsftp question ?

Indunil Jayasooriya wrote:
Hi,

I want to setup vsftp on centos 4.5. 2 types of ftp. they are active and pasive. What is the default type ftp type o CentOS ?

Is is PASIVE ftp?

in /etc/vsftpd/vsftpd.conf, I found below line. What should I do for below line?

# Make sure PORT transfer connections originate from port 20 (ftp-data).
connect_from_port_20=YES

Should I COMMENT it out?  I need a very secure ftp service.

'very secure' and 'ftp' don't go together.

passive vs 'active' has no impact on 'security'. the choice of passive vs active is strictly at the clients whim after authentication, and unless you have control over all clients and their transfer modes, you should support both to be RFC compliant.

FTP is inherently an insecure protocol as it sends the user credentials in plain text.