Re: Disk De-Fraging in Linux

IME defragging is highly needed in busy servers that use a lot of disk. Every single one of my clients have seen server performance tank when fragmentation goes over 15% or so..including the workstations. In vista it's still necessary.

John R Pierce wrote:

you're in luck cause you don't defrag an ext2/3 partition at all. defrag
is for windows file systems. Ext file systems are a different animal
all-together.

Why?  What's different between NTFS and ext2/3 that defragging is
needed in one but not the other?

IMHO, defragging is highly overrated in NTFS too. it was the old FAT/FAT32 file system that suffered from horrible performance when heavily fragmented.

that said, the best way to defrag a file system is to dump it to external media, delete then recreate the file system and restore the dump.

My "Foundation" verse:
Isa 54:17 No weapon that is formed against thee shall prosper; and every tongue that shall rise against thee in judgment thou shalt condemn. This is the heritage of the servants of the LORD, and their righteousness is of me, saith the LORD.

-- carpe ductum -- "Grab the tape"
CDTT (Certified Duct Tape Technician)

Linux user #322099
Machines: