Re: Disabling shutdown and suspend for normal users

Henk van Lingen wrote:
Hi,

[CentOS 5]

What is the best way to remove the shutdown and suspend options
from menu's for normal users?

After googling around, I added "SystemMenu=false" to the greeter
section in /etc/gdm/custom.conf. After that the GDM login screen
still shows the options, but 'restart' indeed doesn't work anymore.
However, the gnome menu's when logged in, still have the 'suspend'
options, which still leads to a hanging (unwakeble) machine.

BTW: I prefer editing  config files instead of stupid gui's, as I have to
     change a lot of machines :-)

To remove the reboot/shutdown options from the login screen (after setting SystemMenu=False) two small modifications are needed to:
     /usr/share/gdm/themes/CentOSCubes/CentOSCubes.xml

The two modifications are:

1. Change line 102 from:
                          <show modes="console"/>
to:
                          <show type="reboot" modes="console"/>

2. Change line 118 from:
                          <show modes="console"/>
to:
                          <show type="halt" modes="console"/>

The lines above both of these should have an item tag refering to the appropriate reboot/halt button. Then restart the gdm. The shutdown and reboot buttons should no longer appear.

I use the following command:

gconftool-2 --config-source xml:readwrite:/etc/gconf/gconf.xml.mandatory -s -t bool /apps/gnome-power-manager/can_suspend false

to remove the suspend option from the gnome system menu. Also, deleting the symbolic links for halt, poweroff, and reboot in /usr/bin appears to remove the respective options from the menu as well as from the command line.

Erik