Re: hardware raid vs fake raid

On Thu, 13 Sep 2007, Mogens Kjaer wrote:

Tom Diehl wrote:
They do but nothing I can find in there tells me if it is real hardware
raid or fake raid. Adaptec for example, also says that their fake raid cards are comaptable with Linux but they do not clearly specify if it is fake raid or true hardware Raid. AFAIK the Adaptec cards are all fake Raid. and some of
ServeRaid cards were also based on the Adaptec chipset and hence Fake Raid.

My IBM x3500 machines have this card:

This is the exact machine I am talking about.

# lspci
03:00.0 RAID bus controller: Adaptec AAC-RAID (Rocket) (rev 02)

Hummmm, Interesting!! Maybe my information about Adaptec is wrong.

I'm not quite sure if this also has an IBM serveraid name.

According to the specs I have it is branded as ServeRaid 8k SAS.
I do not have the machine yet.

I don't think it is fakeraid; setting up raid devices can take
place at bios level, the buildup of the RAID5 or RAID6 volumes
can run without any drivers loaded.

It does not sound like fake raid.

If this is fakeraid I would like a clear definition of the term
fakeraid.

There is a pretty good explaination of fake
raid here:
http://thebs413.blogspot.com/2005/09/fake-raid-fraid-sucks-even-more-at.html
And some more info here:
http://linuxmafia.com/faq/Hardware/sata.html

All of it is a bit old but mostly still revelent as far as I can tell.

Regards,

--
Tom Diehl		tdiehl@xxxxxxxxxxxx		Spamtrap address mtd123@xxxxxxxxxxxx