Re: ASTERISK BOX behind a filewall

I know of an H.323 filter, but haven't explored SIP as we aren't
running any SIP application here yet.

Another possibility would be a SIP proxy installed on the
firewall, but it is not as secure as a filter.
asterisk IS a sip proxy.
Yes, well what I was hinting at was a dumbed-down install of
asterisk installed ON the firewall that would be responsible
for handing off calls coming in to and out of the network
from/to another larger asterisk system.
You still have to setup the sip configuration to handle that. Not much dumb downing on that aspect.

Well yes it's going to need some config, it won't need to know the
full config because it is just going to do a full hand-off to the
internal asterisk server for DID (does sip use DIDs?) routing.

It still needs a full SIP config. Just not the other stuff like voice menus, voicemail or what not.