Re: Very strange problem i have faced in my 2 years carrier

Dear,

"Is it crazy to propose someone opened /etc/passwd in vi, and saved it
out without noticing this had happened?"

i would like to add, MRTGs were not updated as my collique logged in... MRTGs
worked fine after that.... again few hours he logge in and then su - but
problem raised.

Then please tell me spelling has changed.... Automatically:( Its is obvious that
someone has changed it.

Regards,

Umair Shakil
ETD

On 9/12/07, Andy Green <andy@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> the spelling of root was changed from "root" to "R00t". i changed to
> "root" and every thing worked.
>
> I want to ask, what is this, this doesnot seem a garbage value or nor
> corruption of passwd file. only showing someone changes this. Here we
> have bank private network, only two people have access  for it  me and
> another guy.
>
> what are your opinions??????

I have seen vi do this action when it didn't understand a keycode on teh
terminal you are using properly... change the case of a few letters next
to the cursor.  But IIRC that was busybox vi.

Is it crazy to propose someone opened /etc/passwd in vi, and saved it
out without noticing this had happened?

-Andy