Re: Help with External USB drive on RH/Centos 5

This worked perfectly.

Thanks.

Scott

On Fri, 7 Sep 2007, Simon Jolle "sjolle" wrote:

Scott Ehrlich wrote:
Another issue to tackle - I have an external 1 TB drive (2 500GB on a
 RAID). When I plug it into the server, it sees, via
/var/log/messages, that a USB device was plugged in, but that's it.
fdisk -l doesn't see it.  dmesg doesn't do much, either.   It is a
Western Digital My Book II device.

I don't own this external hard disk, but did a Google Query for you.

I quote from "Bits and Pieces: Western Digital "MyBook Pro Edition II" 1 TB & linux" [0]

The cube has a built in, configurable RAID controller and is built
for MACs (but runs on Windows, too). So don't start crying if it's
not yet necessary. First I grabbed one of the seldom Windows boxes
from my office (no Windows at home, but not dark at all) and
installed the magic RAID controller utility shipped with the drive.
One time "reconfiguring" it to "NTFS / RAID1" made it and the device
showed up with 500G after pluggin it to the linux box. A second
reconfiguration (on Windows) to "NTFS / RAID0" and it showed the up
in its full majesty:

[0] http://linu.gs/misc/remember/wd-mybook-1TB-on-linux.php