Re: Promise VTrak and CentOS 5

Bart Schaefer spake the following on 9/5/2007 9:26 AM:
We're having a problem with Linux and/or the SCSI controller failing
to access an external RAID device.  Components are:

SuperMicro 6025B-TR+V
CentOS 5.0 with yum update as of a week or two ago (kernel 2.6.18-8.1.8.el5)
Promise Vtrak M310p
Adaptec 29320 LPE -- aic79xx module

Sometimes this fails on the initial device probing (before the kernel
even begins to boot); sometimes the device is recognized ok and then
we get a failure later on in the boot sequence (and then the device
disappears).

RedHat Linux is in the compatibility list for that Adaptec card, and
the card is listed as compatible with the Promise VTrak.  We were able
to get this combination to work by giving up on the Ultra320 setting
and dropping back to 160 in the controller setup, but if anyone has
suggestions or info it would be appreciated.

There has been a lot of traffic on Adaptec cards and ultra320 not working properly with the current drivers. The only fix I have seen posted is to get an LSI card.

--

MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and