Re: Performance Issues

On Sun, 2 Sep 2007 at 8:11am, Dan Dansereau wrote

We have a DELL6850 with 8Gbytes of memory,  four 3.2Ghz CPU's , perc 4
raid controller, with fourteen 300Gbyte 10Krpm disk on a powervault
220s, And a powervault 124T  LTO-3 tape systems on a separate
160Mbyte/sec adaptec SCSI card.

Which card and driver? ISTR folks having issues with adaptec cards and LTO3 drives. Might you have a spare LSI SCSI card (ultra320, preferably) about that you could test with?

The disks are configured as two 2Tbyte raid 0 partitions using the perc
4 hardware.

The problem is - reading from the disk, and writing to the tape is
pathetically slow.
The specs say I should get around 80Mbyte/second - in reality - is about
500 Kbytes/second

Have you benchmarked the disks to make sure you get decent performance out of them?

Writing just to tape, using /dev/zero as input and dd to write, I can
get up to 60Mybte/second, indicating that the tape drive and scsi card
is functional from a hardware perspective. Since I can read and write
data to the disks - I assume that they are functional.
The files are 80Mybtes for the minimum size that I am writing to tape.

80MB total or lots of 80MB files? If the former, you really need to test with, IMO, at least 2X RAM (preferably 4X) sized data to get a reliable speed estimate.

Is there a standard disk / tape IO test package that could test the
speed/performance of the disks and /or tapes?

bonnie++ is somewhat standard for testing disk sequential read/write speeds.

--
Joshua Baker-LePain
Department of Biomedical Engineering