Re: My server won't boot (grub looping - stage2)

mbneto wrote:
Hi,

I can't boot.  It simply does not show me the menu of kernels to choose.

When the problem first manisfested itselfFirst I was getting that loop regarding the 'loading stage2'.

After I tried that grub-install I simply get an infinite loop of beeps!

:(
Here is a set of steps that I distilled from how-to's that has worked for me. It might be worth a try.

Recovery from a screwed MBR (Install GRUB)

1. Boot with a rescue CD
  Go through the obligatory BS; network not needed
2. Once rescue finds Linux, hit OK. Do NOT do the chroot. Run grub. Then, from the prompt:
  a. If /boot is an integral part of the / partition:
     grub> find /boot/grub/stage1
                        -or-
  b. If /boot is in a separate partition:
     grub> find /grub/stage1
                    -in either case-
  Grub answers with drive and partition: (hd1,0)
3. Set the root for grub:
  grub> root (hd1,0) (or whatever returned above)
4. Write the MBR on the 1st drive
  grub> setup (hd0)
  (grub will print a bunch of crap, double-checking, and install itself.)
5. Remove the rescue CD and reboot. When entering the values above, pay close attention to spaces and comma characters!

HTH.

On

    Can you boot into any of these?

    > My disks

    <snip fdisk dumps look ok>

UNDOCUMENTED ALIEN -- "If they haven't followed the law
to get here, they are by definition 'illegal'. It's like saying a
drug dealer is an 'undocumented pharmacist.'"
          -John Varga, Westfield, New Jersey