Re: Mapping to Samba

Akemi Yagi wrote:
On 8/28/07, Scott Moseman <scmoseman@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Using GUI methods (read: easy for most users), is there a way to map
to a Samba share and have it accessible to all applications?  Going
through Nautilus I'm able to create a link to the shares, but they're
not accessible from many applications.  And, obviously, this is going
to be something that changes per user (different mappings, different
credentials, etc), so I can't use a static mapping on the machines.  I
could live with /etc/fstab entries if they could be dynamically
adjusted based on the user that's logging into the system.

How do other people handle this situation?

I cannot think of an easy solution for this.  But use of autofs might
help.  It dynamically mounts shares and you may be able to set up
credential files per user or occasion.  See the wiki:

http://wiki.centos.org/TipsAndTricks/WindowsShares

for howto mount Windows shares using autofs.

Akemi

well... the first thing I thought of was to google *samba login scripts*
http://www.google.com/search?source=ig&hl=en&q=samba+login+scripts

actually came up with some interesting results. Thing is, for me when I'm using a linux workstation connecting to a linux file server I've always been quite happy to use NFS. I do understand that Samba does offer a different schema for permissions and such, but so far from what I've seen if you're comfortable configuring login scripts in a windows environment then it shouldn't be too much of a stretch to do the same with Linux to linux using samba.

(By the way... the Webmin/SWAT config modules for Samba are quite nice.)
http://www.minks.de/smblogin/

HOWTO Implement Samba as your PDC - Gentoo Linux Wiki
http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Implement_Samba_as_your_PDC

And of course there is the grand-daddy of all Samba information sites: Samba.org
http://us1.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-HOWTO-Collection/

--
Mark

"If you have found a very wise man, then you've found
a man that at one time was an idiot and lived long enough
to learn from his own stupidity."