Re: Help with backups

Scott Ehrlich wrote:
I've got a Redhat 5 server running Samba, and two dualboot CentOS 5
workstations.

Until we get a better backup strategy, I'm backing up the workstations to the
server via mounting a shared samba drive to /mnt.

I don't know if I have interpreted exactly what you are trying to do but I have used the program rdiff-backup to backup samba directories for a 30 pc computer lab. This software allow incremental backup which was what I liked about it. I also was able to use the remote features of the software (with ssh) to backup from my samba server to another server. It worked just fine.

I am doing less of that because I also backup a number of staff windows machines that are connected to our campus MS domain. I have used a product for many years (it started on mac then win) - Dantz/EMC Retrospect. This has the ability to backup linux computers. One of my reasons for going this direction is my servers have expensive scsi drives vs cheap sata drives on the Retro box. It does incremental backups and is easy to setup backups through the Retro GIU.

Good luck.

Denis Becker
Information Technology - Engineering
MN State Univ., Mankato