Re: UTC vs local time

Simon Jolle wrote:
Hi list

I always configure my systems to use our local time (in my case
/usr/share/zoneinfo/Europe/Zurich) and disable UTC.

What are the differences between UTC and local time? What are their
respective advantages and disadvantages?

When to use UTC?

cheers
Simon

Not sure if Zurich has any sort of Daylight Savings like we do here in the US but that is one good reason to use UTC. Since our clocks shift by an hour twice a year it can make log files confusing and have other side effects. Using UTC you get a standard time that never shifts. (Except for the odd leap second every so often.) Personally I use UTC on my home system and let my shell convert it to my local time zone. For servers that I manage I always use UTC to avoid the one hour shifts of DST.