Re: SATA vs. SAS

Bowie Bailey wrote:
Feizhou wrote:
Option 1) 2 servers each having 2.0TB raid disk with SAS
drives, 2GB ram and standard other features.
If going down this road, why not look into getting one of
those fancy new storage enclosures where the RAID is built
into the enclosure and can allow 2 servers to simultaneously
access the arrays with full battery backed write-back cache?

What is available for Linux in this department?

http://www.coraid.com/

These are relatively inexpensive network storage boxes using SATA drives
and AoE (ATA over Ethernet) connection to the server.  Drivers build
easily on CentOS.

Very interesting.

Just make sure you get drives that are on their compatible list.  This
may not be as much of an issue now, but I had some problems with drives
being marked bad and dropped out of the array when I first set up mine a
couple of years ago.  This was caused by firmware incompatibilities and
fixed by upgrading the drive firmware.  Once this was fixed, everything
has worked flawlessly since.

Thank you for the link and the heads up!