disk in and have the system automatically mount whatever filesystem is
on the disk...

That was mine.  Still working on it.

As to the hardware support, the definitive answer is found at www.linux-ata.org

Thanks - the problem must be the Promise controller. I'll have to dig up something else.

As to device naming, use LABEL= to fix that. SCSI device naming on Linux stinks.

Can grub deal with that for the /boot partition? A default install on a scsi drive that came in after the sata's wouldn't boot if I removed one of the sata disks.

What I want to end up with is the system on a pair of raid 1 scsi drives, then a 3-member raid1 mounted separately where one is periodically swapped out and taken offsite. I'm currently doing something similar with 2 IDE and one firewire drive but the firewire driver doesn't seem reliable enough to leave the drive connected much longer than it takes to sync.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx