Trying to understand Remote desktops

This is something that has been long overdue for me to set up, and how I am looking it hard in the face.

Back in '94, I was doing REAL X-Terminals into UNIX systems. Watching simple mouse meanderings eat up all available bandwidth, and forget it if you resized a window and had to download the new font.....

So here we are, in the modern times with GNOME (I chose that over KDE, because), and Open Office, Thunderbird, and lots of other nice graphical apps.

I want to run the apps on an app server and access them for a thin client. I am familiar with the K12TLSP project, but right now I want to see what I can do myself.

What is the minimum X install for the server to run Open Office with the only graphical usage the remote client?

I well learned back in '91 when I started with TCP/IP, the TCP Client/Server model and how X-Windows and SNMP ran 'backwards'. That is your device was the Server and the device with the data/app was the client. So in theory, all I would need to have on the Centos Apps server is the X and Gnome client parts and some remote server (like XRDP)?

I have the test box sitting here, ready to run an install....

I think it would be so cool, to see my Gnome desktop from the apps server running on my little old Libretto running DSL.