Re: Kernel

Centos 4 kernel's base version is 2.6.9 and Centos 5 kernel's base version is 2.6.18. and I couldn't find anything in Centos mirror sites and repository ( I really need kernel version 2.6.18. )

Downloaded and installed kernel 2.16.18 for version 5, and installed it on Centos 4, it is ok but while
I am installing another software I am getting pointer exception fault.

couldn't compile 2.6.18 SROM on Centos 4, I am getting "unifdef is needed" when I am running

rpmbuild -bb kernel-2.6.18

now I guess I have only two choices:
1- upgrading Centos 4 to Centos 5, which I need your opinion for the best
way of accomplishing it, considering my server is in remote location and I don't have access to console. ( is kick start works for remote installation with not access to console ? )

2- Downloading kernel from kernel.org, which I want to know if the same
version in kernel.org is identical to same version in Centos repository.
I want to make sure  I will have the same thing, to prevent weird problem
in future.

Thanks

Barry Brimer wrote:
my server is in remote location, and I don't see any grub screen, so I was wondering if there is an option that I can specify the kernel that Linux to be booted at the reboot time,
some thing like shutdown -g0 -i6 which_kernel-options

This is handled by your bootloader, which is grub. In your /etc/grub.conf file, there is a line that says "default=x" where x is the number of the section from the top of the file, starting with 0. You can also use the "fallback=x" statement to boot a different kernel in case the default kernel is unable to boot.

If you really want to be able to specify which kernel will be booted on the next boot (and only the next boot) you can install the lilo boot loader and use "lilo -R <image title>" and the next time the system is booted, it will use that kernel, but all other times it will use the default kernel. If you are not familiar with lilo, I strongly recommend that you install it on a machine locally and use it there until you are comfortable with it before deploying it to a machine at a remote data center.

Hope this helps,
Barry