Re: Forcing ifcfg-eth0 to use the same nic in multi nic machine

Lanny Marcus wrote:
On 13 August 2007, Johnny Hughes <johnny@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
<snip>
How can 2 nics from different companies have the same mac address ....
I don't think that is possible.
each card needs a separate MAC address, at least the way I understand
networking.

I agree with Doug and Johnny. My belief is that every NIC in the world
is supposed to have a unique MAC address.

Everyone believed that except DECnet which expected all cards in the same machine to have the same MAC. The address should be stored in a ROM and initialized at startup, so it is probably a firmware or driver bug.

> Although the OP has been using
these boards without problems, I suspect there is a defect on the
boards.

Yes, different block ranges are supposed to be assigned to different companies. But, it shouldn't hurt anything unless both are connected to the same subnet which you aren't likely to want.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx