Re: Re: Postfix smtp freezing

You are correct, resolve.conf does list my isp's dns 250.171.3.65 which
is qwest. The internal windows workstations also point o the isp's dns
server.
Can I setup a cashing dns server on the mail server itself??

Absolutely.  Assuming that none is running already:

#>  netstat -l | grep -e "domain" -e "54"

Should return no results. Now, there are many opinions out there regarding what caching name server to use. I think the easiest here would be BIND. A little bulky, but easily maintained and installed via YUM. Assuming nothing funky with your install, the following should work fine. (you probably have one or many of these installed already)

#>  yum install bind bind-utils bind-devel bind-libs caching-nameserver
#>  /etc/init.d/named start

#>  netstat -l | grep -e "domain" -e "54"

Should now show something like:
~]# netstat -l | grep -e "domain" -e "54"
tcp        0      0 localhost:domain         *:*            LISTEN
udp        0      0 localhost:domain         *:*            LISTEN

Now double check that it works:
#>  dig @127.0.0.1 yahoo.com

If you get a result with Yahoo's IP address info, go ahead and make your server use your new caching name server.

Edit /etc/resolv.conf and add "nameserver 127.0.0.1" to the **TOP** of the list. Leave your ISP's DNS server there just for good measure - you should always have more than one caching DNS server for redundancy. It should now look something like:

#/etc/resolv.conf
nameserver 127.0.0.1
nameserver 250.171.3.65
search yourdomainname.com

Feel free to restart your mail server processes if you like, but most should start seeing your new name server right away.

PS: I just wanted to say thanks to everyone who has helped me so far.

No problem. I just hope it helps. I'm running Qmail right now in an ISP setup and had nasty issue about six months ago. Got hit with a double whammy. A bad DNS cache, and a RBL provider timing out and providing poor performance. Gave me similar symptoms.

-Ken